Tuesday, March 15, 2011

FINAL LAUNCH PICTURES

Sitting watching and waiting for lift off was this boat. It was sitting just off the shore from where we were. We all agreed it looked like something from a James Bond movie.



We were actually no more than 6 miles away from the launch pad. Awesome just to be near it and able to actually see it with your own eyes, I still would like one day to be much closer to be able to feel the power. Have you ever been to a pro drag race? Sitting in the bleachers when the dragsters take off is a must experience to feel. The bleachers shake and vibrate so strongly you feel it in every muscle as you sit there. There is actually a "ride" at Kennedy Center you can go in that simulates the launch enabling you to "feel" it as the astronauts do. I didn't go because I thought being enclosed I might get motion sickness. The slightest thing triggers it for me. Next time I'll risk it and try out the "ride". Now all I can do is recommend it for your future visit.



So, we were running in and out; watching tv down to the last few seconds and then outside to see the lift off.
Our friend Jean was wonderful to let us join them to watch this event. She has lived at this location for the past 20 years or more so has witnessed most of the launches since then. One of her walls is filled with photos, memorabilia and newspaper clippings of all the past launches she has witnessed. This is a major event for the folks who live in this area. Thousands of cars are parked along the highways hours before hoping to get the best spot to witness it and within 20 minutes after are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic heading home.
I made a "movie" of it but, learned after that a video cannot be turned as a photo can. My bad.
All in all this is an event that will stay in my memory.






No comments:

Post a Comment