Saturday, September 25, 2010

ACADIA PARK


We took Olie's Trolley tour through Acadia Park. It is definitely the thing to do. From that, we revisited the places we wanted to spend some time at.



This is at the top of Cadillac Mountain; the highest point in the park. The photo above and below show the abundance of rocks throughout this park. When I saw all the rock formations and all the different kinds of rocks I was reminded of our earth science classes in school. I think it would be most helpful and interesting to have a quick lesson on rocks before or while touring the park.


We are actually above the harbor in the picture above. See the cruise ship way below.

There are many hiking trails throughout the park. There are rangers in each of the information centers to provide helpful facts about the trails and other interesting points of the park. The trails vary in difficult from easy for kids to very difficult. I did see some rock climbers and some people bouldering. I used to do a lot of rock climbing and repelling in southern Illinois. I loved it so much. I would love to do some more. I always wanted to do some ice climbing. May yet, one never knows.



This is the back yard of a summer cottage called Jordan Pond House. There is now a restaurant in this house along with a trinket shop. We had dinner here one night. Very tasty!!





This picture was taken for all of Jack's friends. Jack is carrying his man purse.





Thunder Hole as the park calls it. The sound of the waves hitting these rocks within a natural cut out chamber resembles thunder. Very cool spot.



The photo above and the last few are of Sandy Beach. I was told that this beach is packed with sunbathers in the months of July and August. This was my favorite spot. Mike and I came back here to climb the far rocks.



Real waves.
















No comments:

Post a Comment