Wednesday, September 15, 2010

LAKE GEORGE, NY

There's Mike waiting for me to board the bus so we can get down the road. We arrived at Lake George in the late afternoon on Sept. 7. We camped at the Lake George Escape RV Park and Campground. Huge place. We had a somewhat secluded site next to our friends Jack & Carol. The only problem was you could hear the traffic on I87. When you look at the site on line, you don't see the surrounding roads and highways. Hindsight is: know where the surrounding roads and traffic are in relation to your site. All in all, it was still a pleasant site. Another problem we ran into was NO WiFi at site as promised. All four of us have some type of business which nessitates the need for an online connection. Therefore, we all were muffed at not being able to get WiFi. Aside from the problems, we selected Lake George area for the scenic view the lake and immediate area provided and to visit Fort Ticonderoga. Don't forget golf.

Somewhere around Lake George, I have relatives. That's all I can tell you. I don't know their names or where they live. They are on my father's side of the family. That's all I know. Close family ties......NOT.

Here are some pictures at the entrance of Fort Ticonderoga. The Battle of Carillon was there between the French, British and Americans. We were told that many of the dead are buried there. The tree was just so beautiful I wanted to share it.







The plaque and cross are a memorial for the French General Louis-Joseph de Mntcalm and troops. The structure in the photo to the right seem to be some type of guard post. I am fascinated with names and where they come from. The British officer in this battle was General James Abercrombie. I wonder if the clothing store chain was named after him. hmmm? Once inside the fort, there were two speakers. One gave an informative talk and demonstration of the fire arms used at that time. It was a flint lock rifle. Surrounding the fort were many many cannons and mortors. Most of them are made of brass and others cast iron. There is actually only one cannon left original to the fort. Many were moved to help defend Boston. I especially admired the craftsmenship on these pieces. They were all very decorative.


















No comments:

Post a Comment