Three things have become abundant since we started this trip. The first is the fern. We have a limited amount of ferns in the woods behind our house. They are my favorite. Since Lake George and New Hampshire, now Maine, ferns are everywhere. Absolutely beautiful ferns.
The second abundant "thing" was the moose. Not an actual moose but, signs, key chains, stuffed toys, puzzles, and tee-shirts. Everything with the moose on it. I still have not seen one east of the Mississippi. I'm still looking.
Now the third "thing" is the best. Lobstah!! Everywhere. We went out to eat and guess what we had. Maine lobstah! It has got to be the very best. Everyone but Mike had Lobstah. He is not very fond of it. I knew I would finally find something wrong with him. He had a medley of seafood; clams, shrimp, scallops, and fried haddock. He ate it all so I'm guessing it was very good.
These photos are what the locals call "cottages". They follow the coastline.
This small cottage belongs to President Bush. Kennebunkport summer home. This is the closest anyone can get. Yes, there were a large number of people parked along the road taking pictures like myself. Why do we do this? What I have gained from this? I can now say, "Well, don't you know, I've seen the President's house." Whoopee!!
Back at the ranch....(I had a teacher in junior high school in Rhinebeck School who said that everyday). Again back at the ranch, while in this area of Maine, we visited and made a few contributions to the local businesses in Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. The boys actually went fishing while Carol and I did the shopping thing. I'm actually too cheap to buy the tourist traps. The truth is I keep remembering that I am sorting through the house trying to get rid of stuff, I can't add to it. All I need is the memories. There is truth to that statement.
By the way, the boys were not lucky fishermen.
What would a visit to the Maine coast be without a visit to a lighthouse? We went to the Rockland Breakwater light house. A breakwater wall was built that leads to this lighthouse. It was 7/8" of a mile each way. As you can see from the pictures below, the rocks were cut to fit. It took 19 years to finish the break wall and open the lighthouse.
Basking in the sun. The weather has been very good although it has been a bit cooler than I expected.
No comments:
Post a Comment